3 min
12H 2026

Los Angeles, CA – Man Fatally Shot Following Argument Near South Los Angeles Food Stand at Slauson Avenue and Holmes Avenue

an in his 20s was shot and killed near a food stand in South Los Angeles early Sunday morning after getting into a verbal altercation with an occupant of a nearby vehicle, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

LinkedInFacebookPhoneEmail
Article Image

Los Angeles, CA (May 17, 2026) – A man was fatally shot near a food stand in South Los Angeles following a confrontation with someone inside a parked vehicle, police said.

The shooting occurred in the early morning hours of Sunday near the intersection of Slauson Avenue and Holmes Avenue, where a food stand had been set up. According to the Los Angeles Police Department, the victim — a man in his 20s whose identity has not been publicly released — approached a white Toyota Prius that was stopped in the area.

Investigators said the victim became involved in a verbal altercation with an occupant of the vehicle. Someone inside the car then opened fire, striking the victim. The suspect fled the scene in an unknown direction.

Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics responded to the scene, where the victim was pronounced dead.

LAPD detectives are actively investigating the incident and are working to determine whether it was gang-related. No further information regarding the identity or description of the shooter has been released at this time.

The investigation remains ongoing.

What to Do After Losing a Loved One to Gun Violence in Los Angeles, CA

  1. Preserve all available information. If you have any knowledge of the events, the vehicle, or individuals involved, consider documenting that information and consulting with an attorney about how to preserve it properly.
  2. Request official reports once available. Once the LAPD releases its investigation report, obtaining a copy may be important for any future legal proceedings.
  3. Understand your rights as a surviving family member. Families of homicide victims may have legal options, including wrongful death claims, depending on the circumstances of the case and the parties involved.
  4. Consult an attorney before speaking with any insurance company. If any insurance coverage is involved, individuals should proceed carefully and seek legal guidance before providing statements or signing documents.

Timing considerations: Under California law (Code of Civil Procedure §335.1), wrongful death claims are generally subject to a two-year statute of limitations from the date of death. Evidence and witness recollections can deteriorate well before that deadline.

Contact Our Los Angeles Wrongful Death Attorney

The Law Offices of Christian Contreras represents families of homicide and shooting victims throughout Los Angeles, including cases arising from violent confrontations on South Los Angeles streets. We understand how critical it is to act quickly to preserve evidence, identify liable parties, and protect the rights of grieving families.

Our team of Los Angeles Wrongful Death Lawyers handles wrongful death cases on a contingency fee basis — no upfront costs, no hourly fees.

Why Choose Christian Contreras:

  • $150M+ recovered for clients
  • $18M+ recovered in 2025 alone
  • 7+ jury trials per year
  • Fluent in English and Spanish
  • Featured on ABC, Fox News, NBC, Telemundo & CBS

Call (866) 837-1315 to schedule a free consultation.

Over $150 Million in Compensation for Clients

Loading...